Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Success! Moving Ahead


"P'ri Hagafen" wins 3rd place in KWS Show
 Success
Last week ended on a high note! The Kentucky Watercolor Society presented a third place to  "P'ri Hagafen," which is part of the organization's New Member Show. I'll have fun spending the $30 gift card to Preston Art Center. Thank you, Preston Art Center and KWS.

Actually, the prize was just the icing on the cake. The painting sold within an hour of being posted on this blog. So now I can say I have sold online.  I am also very pleased that the painting "spoke" to my friend, Lynne.

About the title: "P'ri Hagafen" is the transliteration of  the Hebrew words for "fruit of the vine." It is part of the blessing said every Shabbat over the wine.

  
Close-up

 
Moving ahead
I have been rushing holiday preparations to allow some studio time because I've been eager to try "optical mixing." I read about this technique in a book called Watercolor: Creative Techniques, which I recently purchased at the Indianapolis Museum of Art. The book was written by Josep Asuncion and Gemma Guasch and translated from Spanish by Eric A. Bye.



A little distance improves helps image to appear.
Reference photo is on left.

Yesterday I finished preparing the grid and put down enough paint to make me believe a good picture might result. This will definitely be one to be viewed from a distance.


No comments: