Friday, July 1, 2011

Friday Finds: Great place to paint

When I first visited Sycamore Springs about five years ago, I knew I wanted to paint there.

When my mother took up watercolors last fall, I dreamed of painting with her and my daughter.

Yesterday, I got it all: I painted with Mom and Meredith at Sycamore Springs.

It's a beautiful, peaceful place not too far away, and on a weekday you may have it almost to yourself. We showed up around 9:30 a.m. and painted till 2:30 p.m. The only other person around was a grounds crew staff member who volunteered to move our picnic table into the shade. If you're new to plein air painting and worried about being watched, this is a good place to get your brushes wet.

The natural beauty can be stunning: Little Blue River meanders through the park, morning sun illuminates limestone cliffs, sycamores tower overhead and lush pine forests muffle the wind and scent the air.

From Bloomington, it's about a 75-minute drive down S.R. 37 South. The park is two miles southwest of English. Take the first right after the railroad (Church Street),  and you'll see signs to the park after you cross a low water bridge. If you have a GPS, use the 717 W. Tunnel Hill Road address. And if you want to know more about the park before you go, check it out at http://www.sycamorespringspark.com/. There is no admission fee.

No comments: