Friday, May 20, 2011

Friday Finds: More Zentangles and Art:21

Carla Hedges and "Feathered Flowers"
Zentangles explosion
I'm experiencing pattern hypersensitivity. Everywhere I look I see Zentangles: the neighbor's trellis, the cut-glass decanter, a palm tree's trunk, even the wallpaper in my powder room (never got around to stripping that; just hoping now for wallpaper to come back in style).

Here are a few Zentangle artworks I will share. The first is Carla Hedges' "Feathered Flowers" that I mentioned in last week's post. She will be featured in the June issue of Bloomington Watercolor Society's Brushstrokes.

I stumbled across the second one this morning while checking my blog feed. The headline, not the art, is what drew me in: "Balancing roles of artist and mother" by guest columnist Sandhya Manne. When I clicked on it, the artwork appeared. Go to http://www.artbizblog.com/2011/05/artist-mother.html .

Art:21 Must-see TV from PBS online
Since seeing the John Marin exhibition at the Art Institute of Chicago in April, I have been thinking about realism and abstraction. And that has led me into an exploration of more contemporary themes and works.

Art:21, a PBS series about contemporary visual arts, is now available online at http://www.pbs.org/art21/index.html . The site offers not only 20 full episodes but also slideshows of more than 2,800 images, educator's guides and online lesson library. This Web site was a hold on me for the next few months!

And remember that PBS is public funded television, so donate through your local station. In Bloomington that's WTIU and the link is http://www.indiana.edu/~radiotv/wtiu/support.html . (Full disclosure: WTIU is sort of the "family business": my husband is executive director, but I would tell you to support WTIU even if I weren't married to him.)

No comments: